10 Things You Didn’t Know About Yohji Yamamoto
Fun facts and history on Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto.
1. Japanese born designer based in Tokyo and Paris.
2. Prestigious awards previously won include: Japanese Medal of Honor, Odre national du Merite, Royal Designer for Industry, and The Master of Design Award by Fashion Group International.
3. Graduated from Keio University with a degree in law in 1966.
4. Debuted his first Yohji Yamamoto collection in 1981.
5. Known for having an avant garde spirit to this clothing.
6. Has collaborated with fashion brands including: Adidas (Y-3), Hermès, Mikimoto and Mandarina Duck
7. Yohji Yamamoto brand was in 65 million dollar debt in 2009.
8. Yamamoto was involved in a relationship with fellow Japanese avant-garde fashion designer Rei Kawakubo of Commes des Garcons.
9. In 2003 2003 Yohji Yamamoto designed costumes for Elton John's The Red Piano show in Las Vegas.
10. Yamamoto's daughter, Limi Feu, has followed in his footsteps. She debuted as a fashion designer at the Tokyo Fashion Week in 2000, showed in Tokyo from 2000 to 2007, and debuted to critical acclaim in Paris in 2007.